Maintaining your privacy is really important to us. You entrust us with your information, and we take that responsibility seriously.
This policy was last updated on May 24th 2018 in line with GDPR requirements. It may be updated in the future and we will post the new version here on our website. We will never deviate from our overall philosophy of maintaining your privacy, though.
1. General Information
2. What Information We Collect About You
2.1 Your Personal Data
When we say your "personal data", we mean any information that identifies any person that you provide to us as a free customer, after you subscribe, or that is contained in any other information that you provide to us (or that you authorize a third party to give to us on your behalf).
Your "personal data" may also be contained in information that we collect about you in connection with your use of the freewebstore website and/or freewebstore control panel or otherwise interact with us for example by electronic mail.
When it comes to your personal data, we comply with our obligations under the General Data Protection Regulation and any other applicable data protection legislation from time to time.
Your personal data includes the information you provide, or that you authorize someone else to provide provide information in your account profile, on the freewebstore website (including any forms you complete), control panel, or during a support enquiry about you and/or your organization.
Examples of this personal data include your name, your email address, address including postcode which you provide to us when you set up your account and subsequently amend in the My Account section; and any correspondence when you contact us.
We shall periodically check that the personal data we store for you is accurate and update our records accordingly. If you would like to update the personal data we hold about you, please login to your freewebstore account or contact us by completing the form at https://freewebstore.com/contact.html with your request.
We do not knowingly collect or solicit any personal data from anyone under the age of sixteen or knowingly allow such persons to register for freewebstore. Freewebstore is not directed at children under the age of sixteen. In the event that we learn that we have collected personal data from a child under age sixteen without verification of parental consent, we will delete that information as quickly as possible.
2.2 Your Customer Data
You (the store owner) may store personal information about your own customers on freewebstore. You retain all rights and ownership to your Customer Data and you have ultimate control over who has access to it. Freewebstore will use its best endeavours to keep Customer Data confidential and secure and in accordance with this policy (See Section 10).
It is your job to safeguard your password and account access. You will also need to make sure they you obtained any relevant consents or permissions necessary before you upload any personal data to freewebstore and for it to be used as set out in this policy.
For information on how we store your Customer Data and how we handle your Customer’s credit card data, please refer to Section 10.
2.3 People Who Contact Us Via Social Media
If you contact us through social media messenger, we use a third-party provider Hootsuite. Link to Privacy Notice
2.4 People Who Email Us Or Contact Us Via Forms On Our Website
We use third party provider Google for our email services. Transport Layer Security (TLS) is used to encrypt and protect email traffic. If your email service does not support TLS, you should be aware that any emails we send or receive may not be protected in transit. Link to Privacy Notice
We will also monitor any emails sent to us, including file attachments, for viruses or malicious software. Please be aware that you have a responsibility to ensure that any email you send is within the bounds of the law.
2.5 People Who Call Our Corporate Queries Telephone Line
We do not offer telephone support for customers. However, for corporate queries we use third party company AlldayPA. Link to Privacy Notice
2.6 People Who Contact Us To Purchase A Domain Or Redeem A Domain As Part Of Their Professional Or Powerseller Package
We use Realtime Register to purchase domains. Link to Privacy Notice
2.7 Information We Collect
We collect information about your website usage, to improve our service and to understand trends to enhance and customize. Some of this data may be "personal data", where it identifies a person. Here's the information that we collect and how we use it:
- We monitor patterns of usage, such as login dates and volumes of data, so we can understand how people are using freewebstore to develop and improve our products.
- We also monitor patterns of usage so that we can tailor any communications we may send you or advertising you may receive. For example, we may tailor your newsletter with information about product features that you haven't tried yet, instead of features that you use frequently.
- For security reasons, to aid in monitoring patterns of usage and to improve user experience, we log your IP address when you use the website. This is your computer's individual identification number that is assigned to your computer when connected to the Internet.
- In addition to your personal data, we may also hold financial data that you enter into freewebstore. Examples of your financial data include your orders and sales data processed on your freewebstore. We hold this as part of our service to you - to enable you to track past orders, we also use it to tailor our product to your needs, and to understand our customer behaviour.
2.8 Information Others Provide To Us
We may receive information from others that you have authorized that third party to provide to us. This could include the information on whether a subscription payment was paid or declined.
3. How We Use The Information We Collect
3.1 We Use Your Personal Data To:
Enable us to register you and provide you with access to the freewebstore control panel. We use your personal data for legitimate business reasons, for example email you when you’ve received an order. It will also enable us to contact you by email, fax, post, SMS, social media or telephone where necessary concerning freewebstore; to record your personal preferences; to personalize our services to you (such as by pre-populating fields to make it easier for you to provide information when you return to the freewebstore control panel or the freewebstore website). It will also enable us to produce reports you request as part of the services we provide.
Should you choose to use parts of freewebstore that involve providing yours or your customers personal and/or financial data to third parties (for example, if you choose to download order data and give this to your accountant, work colleagues or third-party accountancy packages), then it is your responsibility to ensure you comply with the law concerning Data Protection. Such personal and / or financial data may include for example, general, financial data or personal data such as email address, address, VAT No. You are able to select or de-select certain fields when you choose to produce a data extract and download order details.
3.2 Improving Freewebstore
We will also use and analyse your personal data so that we can provide you with support to help your business grow, improve and develop our business, provide you with customer service and support about the features of the freewebstore website and freewebstore generally. We may use third parties to assist us in doing these things from time to time, and in those cases may pass on your personal data to them. We will only share your data with third parties that we trust, and where there are assurances in place as to how they will protect the data.
3.3 Contact You For Marketing Purposes
We may use your personal data to contact you by email, fax, post, SMS, social media and/or telephone to let you know about our other freewebstore and/or third-party services, content, offers or product ranges which may be of interest to you. We will only use your data in this way where you have provided consent, we have legitimate business reasons for doing so, or where we are otherwise entitled by law to do so. If you would like us to stop providing you with such notifications, just contact us using the details below. Please note, this may take up to one working day to take effect. To stop receiving emails from freewebstore itself (for example, a reminder that your subscription is expiring), you should cancel your freewebstore account by closing your store.
3.5 Legal Requirements
We may use your personal data to comply with any legal obligations to which we are subject.
4. Why Do We Use Your Personal Data?
We collect and use your personal data for a variety of reasons. We need some data to enter into and perform our contract with you and provide you with access to freewebstore – for example your contact details and other information requested during the freewebstore setup process. The lawful basis for processing your personal data is Consent as you have consented to provide your personal details to us to allow us to provide a service to you. If you fail to provide such data we will be unable to provide our service to you.
Other information we collect because we have legitimate business interests, for example, in:
- Ensuring that we can onboard you as a customer, provide you with hints and tips on how to use freewebstore and manage your account;
- Understanding how our customers use our products, services and websites;
- Understanding and responding to customer feedback;
- Researching and analysing the services our customers want;
- Improving our product and better understanding how our customers use it.
5. How We Share Information We Collect
Except as described in this policy, freewebstore does not divulge any personal information gathered via its services to third parties.
We may share your personal data with third parties in certain circumstances:
- We may disclose your data to any member of our group (which means our subsidiaries or our ultimate holding company);
- In the event that we, our business, or substantially all of its assets are acquired by a third party (in which case personal information about customers will be one of the transferred assets);
- If we are under a duty to disclose or share your personal in order to comply with any legal obligation; to cooperate with law enforcement officials in the investigation of unlawful activities of freewebstore website users or relating to freewebstore users; or in order to enforce or apply any contract with you; or to protect our rights, property, or safety of our employees, customers, or others. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organisations for the purposes of fraud protection or unlawful activity.
We also utilize a number of carefully selected third parties to help provide our services to you. Examples of these functions include email, providing marketing assistance and data analysis, data management, handling credit card transactions and providing customer service. In choosing to work with any such third parties, we will always ensure that the security policies and confidentiality arrangements of those third parties adhere to the same requirements we ourselves impose and expect, as a minimum. No ownership rights to the data will be transferred to any third party.
For a full list of sub processors and details of the adequate safeguards in place in respect of data transfers outside the EEA, please see below:
|Sub-Processor||Location||Data Security Certifications||Use|
|Amazon Web Services (AWS)||Ireland and United States||Privacy Shield, ISO27001, SOC3||AWS stores our database backups. These backups are fully encrypted.|
|SendGrid||1801 California Street, Suite 500, Denver CO 80202||Privacy Shield, SOC 2||Sendgrid is the service provider we use to send transactional emails (not marketing email) from the freewebstore product to our customers.|
|ZenDesk, Inc||1019 Market St, San Francisco, CA 94103||Privacy Shield, ISO27001, SOC3||ZenDesk is the software we use to provide customer support (live chat).|
|GSuite (Google Apps)||Google LLC, 1600 Amphitheatre Parkway, Mountain View, CA 94043, USA||Privacy Shield, ISO27001, SOC3||We use GSuite for all ChartMogul email, as well as document and spreadsheet creation, editing, storage and sharing.|
|Mailchimp||The Rocket Science Group, LLC, 675 Ponce de Leon Ave NE. Suite 5000, Atlanta, GA 30308, USA||Privacy Shield, SOC II Type 2||We use Mailchimp to send updates and useful information via email (including our newsletter).|
|Chartmogul||71-75 Shelton Street, Covent Garden, London, WC2H 9JQ||ISO 27001||We use Chartmogul to understand subscription trends.|
|Really Simple Systems CRM||Really Simple Systems Ltd, Rookery Farm, Ramsdean, Petersfield, GU32 1RU, United Kingdom||ISO27001||We use Really Simple Systems to track our Customer Success communications with you to help you to optimize your store for sales.|
|Braintree||S.à.r.l. et Cie, S.C.A., 22-24 Boulevard Royal L-2449, Luxembourg||PCI DSS Compliant||If you upgrade to one of our Paid Packages, we use Braintree to handle our subscription payments.|
|Trustpilot||Trustpilot A/S, Pilestraede 58, 5th floor, DK-1112 Copenhagen K, Denmark||We use Trustpilot to email users to ask for user feedback to help us improve our product.|
Additionally, you may grant third-party access to your personal or financial data by using freewebstore’s API’s with third-party apps. At all times, this access is controlled by you. Whilst we attempt to facilitate access only to those third-party apps, we cannot take responsibility for the content or privacy policies of third-party apps you access via freewebstore. We encourage you to carefully review the privacy policies of any third-party apps you use.
6. How Long Do We Store Your Data For?
We only store your data for as long as necessary for the purposes of processing set out in this policy. When you cancel your account with freewebstore, you can either delete your customer data immediately, or we will automatically delete your data within 180 days.
If you are signed up to marketing communications, cancelling your freewebstore account will not cancel your marketing preference. If you would like to unsubscribe, you can do so using the unsubscribe link in the email received. Alternatively, please complete your request on the form available at https://freewebstore.com/contact.html
To ensure the integrity of our systems and your data, we utilize various technologies to continually take secure, encrypted backups. Data remains archived within these backups and these are maintained according to our defined two-year data retention policy, after which they are removed.
7. How To Access And Control Your Information
You are free to change your personal details in the My Account section of your account at any time.
You can also ask us for a copy of your personal data that we hold. We may ask for proof of your identity before providing any information and reserve the right to refuse to provide information requested if identity is not established. Please see “Your Individual Rights” below. Generally, we will retain your personal data for a reasonable period, or for as long as the law requires.
You can export a copy of your data whenever you like - this will include your customer data; your order data or product data and you can delete your customer data at any time in the freewebstore control panel. After you delete your data, we may not immediately delete residual copies from our active servers and may not remove information from our backup systems.
We highly recommend that you export your data before cancelling, since many countries (including the UK) require you retain your business records going back many years, even if you have finished trading.
If you are the free package and you do not log into your freewebstore account for 120 days, we assume you are no longer active, and your account will be automatically cancelled within our system and your personal data, customer data and order data will be deleted. We will notify you of this prior to deletion via the email address you provide on setup, which is stored in the My Account section.
If you are signed up to marketing communications, closing your store will not cancel your marketing preference. If you would like to unsubscribe, you can do so using the unsubscribe link in the email received. Alternatively, please complete your request on the form available at https://freewebstore.com/contact.html
8. Your Individual Rights
- Access to your personal data: You can ask us to confirm if we are processing your personal data and you may request a copy of your personal data by contacting us at https://freewebstore.com/contact.html.
- Right to change or withdraw your consent: Where you have given us consent to make use of your personal data for any of the purposes outlined in this policy, you may withdraw that consent at any time by completing the contact form available at: https://freewebstore.com/contact.html. If you wish to change your contact preferences or no longer wish to be contacted for marketing purposes, use the Unsubscribe link in the email or get in touch via the contact form at: https://freewebstore.com/contact.html.
- Right to Rectification: You may ask us to update out of date or inaccurate information we hold about you. To do so, please log on to your freewebstore account and update your information in the My Account section and we will make the necessary updates to our system, or get in touch via https://freewebstore.com/contact.html.
- Right to Erasure: In certain circumstances you may ask us to erase your Personal Data. If you would like us to erase the personal data we hold about you, please get in touch via https://freewebstore.com/contact.html.
- Right to Data Portability: In certain circumstances you may ask us to provide you with the personal data that we hold about you in a structured, commonly used, machine readable form, or ask for us to send such personal data to another data controller.
- Right to object: In certain circumstances you may object to our processing of your personal data. Please get in touch using the contact form available at https://freewebstore.com/contact.html.
- Right to restrict processing: You can ask us to restrict the processing of personal data we hold about you in certain circumstances. Please get in touch using the contact form available at https://freewebstore.com/contact.html.
- Make a complaint: You may make a complaint about our data processing activities, please contact us via the contact form available at https://freewebstore.com/contact.html.
|What cookie is used?||Details||What type of cookie?|
|Freewebstore||Facilitates store creation and management||Session|
|Google Analytics (Signup)||Analytics Data||Tracking|
|Ahoy||Analytics/Marketing Data. Records initial visitor id||Tracking|
|Affiliate||Referral tracking system||Tracking|
10. Data Security
We take security and privacy seriously. We will endeavour to take all reasonable steps to keep your personal data secure once it has been transferred to our systems. We adopt appropriate, industry standard data collection, storage and processing practices and security measures to protect against unauthorised access, alteration, disclosure or destruction.
Freewebstore uses a third-party vendor and hosting partner to provide the necessary hardware, software, networking and storage to run its services. This provider has been selected for their high standards of both physical and technological security, including ISO and SSAE16 certifications.
When payments are processed via credit card, freewebstore uses third-party vendors that are PCI-DSS compliant. At no point does freewebstore have access to your credit card information. For further information on how we meet industry standards for credit card information security, please see our PCI Compliance page.
Your credit card details for subscription payments – This information is passed directly to our payment service provider (Braintree - https://www.braintreepayments.com/en-gb/legal/braintree-privacy-policy) over an encrypted link and is never stored on our system. We handle ongoing billing by passing a token to Braintree that identifies your account.
You should bear in mind that submission of information over the Internet is never entirely secure. Freewebstore cannot guarantee the security of information you submit whilst in transit over the Internet and any such transmission is at your own risk.
Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password which enables you to access certain parts of the freewebstore control panel, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share your password with anyone.
11. Getting In Touch
US enquiries only:
100 Pine Street,
On The Banks,